Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Hiding under the covers-not metaphorically

This morning, at approximately 5:30 am, I heard a commotion from downstairs. Being the kind that sees gnomes, I immediately assumed that there was a big ugly rat rifling through my kitchen drawers knocking things about. After the sun came up and I rallied the troops, I was able to see that it was a little grey mouse stuck to the glue trap that I put out in mid December. The little guy is no longer with us.

It made me think about a summer evening where Kim and I had fallen asleep on the couch upstairs, watching TV. In the wee hours of the morning, I heard a weird noise and opening my eyes to see something flying around the room. Being a smart kid, I detected that it was a bat. Being a dumb kid, I woke Kim up, told her and then pulled the blankets up over our heads.* Before the morning, it had jammed itself in between two window sills. And a few weeks later, after forgetting all about it's existence, I found it's little furry skeleton at the bottom of the window.

There are some things in life that I deal best with by pulling my heads under the blanket and waiting for sun to come up. Avoiding people who are disappointed in me, having to have difficult/confrontational conversations, filing important paperwork to name a few. But I have also learned that this method of dealing doesn't actually help at all. There's nothing wrong with a brief delay but it's different when it's flat out avoidance.

I'm trying to face things before they become issues. Moving to proactivity rather than reactivity. I've been thinking a lot about the Law of Attraction and other ideas that say that we draw to us what we think we need/deserve/want as well as what we put out into the world. And if that's the case, I don't want to draw fear, anxiety or worry. I want to draw peace and acceptance.

The next time there's a mouse making a racket in my kitchen at 5:30 in the morning, I don't think I'll wait til help arrives to take care of it and just ignore the scratching and scraping. I'll deal with it, put it behind me and move forward.



*I know that you're not supposed to do this with bats because they could bite you and you would never know. But at 3:00 in the morning, I wasn't going to start on a bat gathering tirade. I survived it, I'll try not to make the same choice again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment