Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I realize I have blogged a lot about the weather

Is this the equivalent of not having anything interesting to say? Or the conversation you have with people when you feel like you should fill the silence with sound but you're not invested or not interested in being authentic? I'm not sure. I know that here in mid-Iowa, weather is a pretty common conversation piece. There is a lot of it. It changes a lot. And it affects everything that goes on around us. But there has to be more, right?

When I started the blog again, I wanted to stay away from really personal stuff. Make it more external rather than internal. However, I'm realizing that I don't do a lot of processing of the external. I'm way more internally focused. Which can be good. It means I'm aware of what's going on around me and my role in it. But maybe I'm TOO internally focused. Lord knows I could stand to worry less and reflect less. I've been trying to look for ways to be invested in the bigger picture. I still read lots of newspapers from all over the world. During my walks to work, I try to take a slightly different route each time so I can see a part of Ames that's new. But I'm still struggling a bit to get "out of my head". I know that part of it is my academic program. Lots and lots of reflecting and analysis. And in consideration, I'd rather be too aware than not at all aware.

So what do I do? One of the other bloggers I read regularly takes pictures and comments on them. Matthew and Heather are doing something similar. Being more of a wordsmith, maybe I find a passage or even a sentence that speaks to me and jot a bit down about it.

I'm open to suggestions. What would be engaging and interesting to read about?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoy your posts when you talk about the "whether": the choice large and small that we all make and the consequences, intended or not, that flow from those choices. Keep up the good work!

Post a Comment