Friday, February 6, 2009

The awesomeness of surprise gifts

I went to the post office to get my mail yesterday. I usually go once a week, knowing that the only thing waiting for me was a W2 I needed to get my taxes done. Imagine my surprise when I had a package slip. When I retrieved the package, I found that my dear mom had sent me a fleece vest from Lands End with a sweet note about sending a "fleece hug". I smiled for the rest of the day. It was a purely generous and not at all necessary gift.

There's no question that gifts are nice. It's wonderful to receive and it feels amazing to give. I know there have been times when something has caught my eye and I thought "so-and-so would totally love this". And sometimes I'll pick it up and stash it away for a birthday or a big event or other times will just give it on the spot. It makes me feel great to give someone something that says, "I picked this out for you, not for any holiday or forced reason, but because I care about you and I know the things that you like."

So the next time you see something that reminds you of someone or that you want to share, just do it. It's easy in a time like this to pull back and hoard every dollar. But think of the impact that unexpected generosity would have. You have the power to make someone smile and feel loved. How can there be a price tag on that.

Happy Friday everyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment